Thursday, October 20, 2011

Keith's Harvest Quilt


This a block that was featured on the cover of the latest Connecting Threads catalogue.  I love love love batiks and was itching to do a scrappy quilt for our bed. DH Keith has been wanting a quilt with brighter colors. 

Right now our quilt is the Millennium quilt which happens to have 2000 peices. It was made in 1999 for the New Millennium. It was fabulous back then but now we are over it and are looking for something new. Big, bold and bright. 

The kit that was offered I think used a jelly roll so the quilt used 2 1/2 inch strips of fabric. 

Since I had a layer cake which is 10 inch squares I recalculated the pattern to use 3 inch strips instead of 2 1/2 inch strips.Now I only need 16 full blocks made up 48 quarter blocks.

The quilt has a scrappy look even though I am using a sampler collection from Connecting Threads. It is called changing leaves . 

In the last year or so I have been loving the idea of a scrap quilt so finally I am getting to make a scrappy looking quilt but I am not technically using scraps yet!!


I am using a concept I learned from Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville to make bonus half square triangle units from each block.  More later on the details. Have a great day everyone.